Thursday, June 12, 2008

Do I Dare Dream

(I wrote this in a fit of rage when Dad pissed me off about marriage)

Dare I write something to scandalize.
If I did ….it would be none too wise.
The Americans and British lost their weaker gender.
You’d be sued to millions if you refer to them sexes as tender.
Aha! Feminism. A power word in the west.
Of late the women from the East join the quest.

I wonder could I talk so free?
A feminist, would that be me?

But no I don’t want to be. Not me. No way.
Feminism, a tangle, a maze, a web today.
There was once a time when the battle for us women was a sheer necessity
When ignorance, illiteracy and stubbornness had to be battled with ferocity.
Sweep n mop, make n bake, kiss n sex, baby n child, and fix n stitch.
But to read n think, discover n travel, Ah, then she becomes a Jezebel, a witch.
This body ….is not for sex alone. Nor just for making child.
This body ….respect it, honor it, cherish it a matter no longer mild.

Centuries and decades she fought hard and long.
Torn and bleeding she still sings the old song.
Finally she stands. Young and brave, her youth marred with wise old eyes.
She stands tall refusing to stoop over, she the conqueror now so wise.
And now again…. I stand….. No my friend not a rebel …..Not I.
Just a dreamer, I dare to dream and the sun shines brighter in my sky.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

u seem to be really angry....is everything alrite?

Sapna said...

yep all is well